A prospective marriage visa can be used by those who wish to marry their spouse in Australia. Then, they can apply for a partner visa.
It is possible to visit the country for up to 15 months with a prospective marriage visa. Besides, holders are able to work and study there.
When it comes to the conditions, you need to:
- have an Australian sponsor (citizen or permanent resident)
- be at least 18 years old
- want to marry your prospective spouse within the visa validity period
- be outside Australia during the application process.
It is possible to include family members in case you lodge your visa application or add a dependent child. Remember that members must meet health and character requirements and be outside Australia.
It is recommended to get health insurance in case of necessary medical treatment in Australia. If you don’t do this, you are responsible for all the healthcare costs.
What is more, with this temporary visa you can enter Australia, exit it, and come back many times. Also, your visa will be electronically linked to your passport so you don’t need to print it.
Australia prospective marriage visa application conditions
In order to obtain an Australia prospective marriage visa subclass 300, you need to meet the visa conditions:
- be at least 18 years old
- meet minimum health standards (take part in health examinations such as chest x-rays, HIV tests, etc.)
- meet character requirements (you need to be of good character and pass the tests)
- intend to marry your partner (you should provide evidence of wedding arrangements and marriage ceremony in Australia).
Also, you need to have a genuine intention to live together with your spouse. As a married couple, you must have a mutual commitment to each other and continue the relationship. Remember that the Department will consider the nature of commitment, household, finances, and social aspects of the relationship.
How to apply for the visa subclass 300?
Firstly, a visa applicant should prepare all necessary documents (medical and character tests, a valid passport, etc.). Then, apply online or traditionally outside of Australia. If you decide on the first option, you should:
- Visit the website.
- Start a new application.
- Select visa type.
- Fill in the application form with the correct information.
- Cover the necessary fee.
- Submit your application and attach documents.
Also, you can contact the nearest Australian embassy or consulate to get information on how to apply traditionally. The process is very easy and convenient.
The prospective marriage visa as the first step to Australian permanent residency
After approval of the prospective marriage visa, you can apply for a partner visa and thus obtain permanent residency. If you decide to take a prospective marriage visa pathway to permanent residency, remember that it involves a long processing time between getting a partner visa.
Partner visa (Permanent)
This visa enables you to stay in Australia permanently. Usually, it is granted to people with a temporary partner visa (subclass 820), so firstly you should apply for it.
With this permanent visa, you can live, study, and work in the country. Besides, sponsor family members (if they are eligible) and apply for Australian citizenship.
Partner visa application can be done online via the website. You just need to select the proper visa type, fill out the form, attach the necessary documents, and wait for the processing.
Subclass 300 visa eligibility conditions
You are eligible for a prospective marriage visa if:
- You are engaged to an Australian/New Zealand citizen or permanent resident who earlier hasn’t sponsored more than one partner within 5 years period.
- You intend to marry your prospective spouse within the visa validity period.
- You and your partner know each other and are above 18 years old.
- You meet character and health requirements.
Remember, that each case depends on individual circumstances, so the processing time can be different as well as costs.
Also, keep in mind that if you want to enter Australia as a foreign national, you must have a visa appropriate for your travel purpose. Otherwise, it won’t be possible to cross the border.
Besides, your sponsorship may be rejected in case you are convicted or have a criminal history.
As Australian visas are digital and linked electronically to your passport, you don’t need to print them. The digital records will be used by airlines, government agencies, employers, banks, or registered organizations.