Australian Visa for Parents

There are a few Australian parent visas. In this article, we will discuss all of them, so you can pick the one perfect for you and then enjoy your stay.

Non-contributory parent visa (subclass 103)

This permanent visa type is designed for parents who would like to move to Australia to reunite with their family members (settled citizens/permanent residents of Australia or New Zealand citizens).

It is possible to stay in the country, sponsor family members (who are eligible), and apply for citizenship with a parent visa (subclass 103).

However, you must meet the following criteria:

  • Your child must be a settled Australian citizen/permanent resident (or New Zealand citizen).
  • You need to know visa conditions and respect Australian law.
  • You can’t be a holder or applicant of a sponsored parent (subclass 870) visa.

When it comes to traveling, you can do it in and out of Australia within 5 years period as long as your visa is valid. In case you want to have a trip outside the country after 5 years, you need to apply for a Resident Return visa (RRV) or consider getting Australian citizenship.

In case you retired, you don’t need to meet the balance of family tests (proving your links to Australia) or have a sponsor/assurance of support.

Sponsored Parent visa (Subclass 870)

This temporary visa enables a parent of an Australian permanent resident/citizen or New Zealand citizen to visit Australia. With it, it is possible to stay in the country for up to 3 or 5 years.

Besides, you can apply for other visas but can’t work in the country. Remember that you must have a sponsor, take part in the online visa application process, and lodge your application within 6 months of sponsorship approval.

It is a temporary visa, so it won’t lead to permanent residence. What is more, you can’t apply for a temporary or permanent parent visa when you are a holder or applicant of this visa.

The end of your visa validity is specified on the visa grant letter. It can be canceled by the proper authorities or when your sponsorship is withdrawn.

It is not possible to extend this visa, so you need to apply for the new one if you want to stay longer in the country.

Contributory Parent visa (Subclass 143)

This contributory parent visa is designed for parents of Australian citizens or permanent residents and enables them to stay permanently in Australia. Also, thanks to it, it is possible to obtain citizenship.

You need to consider the requirements if you wish to obtain this permanent visa:

  • You need to pass the balance-of-family test.
  • You must get an assurance of support (a promise to pay back income support provided initially during your stay).
  • You can’t be an applicant or holder of a sponsored parent (subclass 870).

Contributory visa (Subclass 173)

This Australian parent visa is for the parent of an Australian citizen/permanent resident or New Zealand citizen who would like to stay in Australia for up to two years.

In order to obtain it, you must be sponsored by a child (eligible one), and meet the balance-of-family test, as well as health and character requirements.

When you are this visa holder, you can live, work, study, and apply for a contributory parent visa (subclass 143).

How to Apply for a Parent Visa?

The parent visa application process is not complicated. Before you start, check all requirements and collect the necessary documents. Then:

  1. Depending on the parent visa types, pick the online option to apply for or do it on paper (in some cases only the second method is available).
  2. Fill in the form and provide the correct information. Check them twice to avoid further problems and attach the necessary documents.
  3. Cover the required fee.
  4. Wait for the processing.

Can I bring my parents permanently to Australia?

It is possible to bring parents to Australia on a permanent basis. They can take part in the parent visa application process and gain permission to stay in the country permanently or temporarily.

Which visa is best for parents in Australia?

Firstly, you need to decide if you want a temporary or permanent parent visa. In the first case, you can pick a sponsored parent visa (temporary) (subclass 870) or a contributory visa (subclass 173).

When it comes to the permanent one, you can apply for parent visa subclass 103 or 143.

How long does it take to get a Parent Visa in Australia?

The processing time depends on the types of parent visas and other factors. It could be very fast or take even 74 months. You need to be patient due to the fact the waiting can be long.

Other options

Besides parent visas, you can apply for different visa types depending on the travel purpose and eligibility. For instance, you can pick an ETA (Electronic Travel Authority) – a document that is linked to your passport number – an eVisitor visa, or a visitor visa.

An eVisitor visa can be obtained online and allows you to stay in the country for a limited time period. It is a very convenient option as you don’t need to visit the embassy or consulate to get it.

A visitor visa can be used by parents who aren’t eligible for ETA or eVisitor. It enables them to stay in the country for 3, 6, or 12 months.