Child Visa to Australia

Does my child need a visa for Australia?

A child needs to obtain a relevant visa for Australia if they do not have a permanent visa but wish to reside in the country indefinitely. Without a suitable permit, they will not be allowed to enter Australia.

The most common travel permit issued for minors is the Australian Child Visa (Subclass 101). However, depending on the individual situation of each applicant, other visa types also remain available.

Additionally, if the child was born outside Australia and one of their parents was a citizen of Australia at the time of their birth, the child may apply for Australian Citizenship by Descent.

Child Visa (Subclass 101)

The Australian Child Visa (Subclass 101) is issued for minors if their parent is an Australian citizen, eligible New Zealand citizen, or holder of a permanent visa to Australia and sponsors them as permanent residents of Australia.

The document allows children to migrate to Australia with the intention of permanent residency. As soon as they obtain the permit, they gain access to Medicare, the Australian public healthcare system. It is also possible for them to work and study in Australia.

In some cases, holders of the Child Visa (Subclass 101) can apply for Australian citizenship.

How can I obtain a Child Visa for Australia?

To obtain the Australian Child Visa, you should complete the registration form and send it by post with the necessary documents to the Child and Other Family Processing Centre in Perth.

Collect the required documentation:

  • valid passport, including pages with the child’s photo, personal details, issue and expiry date
  • national identity card (if applicable)
  • proof of name change (if applicable)
  • four recent biometric photos of the child
  • proof of being related, such as a birth certificate, marriage certificate, adoption certificate, family status certificate or an official family book
  • proof of being dependent on the sponsoring parent, such as bank statements, money transfers, or rent receipts

Depending on the situation, additional documents may be required.

Complete the visa application form:

  • apply for the Child Visa on paper
  • fill in the form with relevant information
  • finalize the payment for the visa processing
  • send the completed form with all the required documents by post

Remember that all the documentation should be in English or translated into English. Documents in other languages will not be accepted.

Follow the instructions after the application:

  • do not arrange travel without an approved visa
  • undergo additional health examinations if required
  • provide additional biometrics if required

Since April 2020, it has been possible to send additional documentation to the Child and Other Family Processing Centre in Perth via online form.

How long does it take to get a Child Visa for Australia?

The process of issuing a visa to Australia takes some time. Workers of the Australian office make sure to check each application thoroughly and grant entry to eligible foreigners only.

Most visa requests are processed within a year, however, in some cases, the waiting time may be prolonged. The delay is usually caused by incorrect information provided in the application form, missing documents, or unpaid registration fees.

Is my child eligible for the Australian Child Visa?

To proceed with the visa application, the child must meet the following eligibility requirements:

  • meet health requirements
  • meet character requirements
  • sign the Australian values statement
  • have consent to migrate to Australia
  • have no debt to the Australian Government
  • stay outside Australia during the registration process
  • be single (never married, engaged, or in a de facto relationship)
  • be a dependent child sponsored by a parent who is an Australian citizen, eligible New Zealand citizen, or holder of an Australian permanent visa

Moreover, if the child is at least 18 years of age (but not older than 25 ), they must be a full-time student dependent on the sponsoring parent or unable to work because of a disability.

What other Australian visas are available for children?

Depending on each applicant’s individual situation, it is possible to apply for one of many visa types available for children apart from the Child Visa (Subclass 101).

Child Visa (Subclass 802)

The Child Visa (Subclass 802) is a residence permit similar to the Child Visa (Subclass 101).

The document is issued for dependent children whose parent or their parent’s partner sponsors them to live in Australia as residents. This visa was created for minors staying in Australia during the application process.

Orphan Relative Visa (Subclass 117)

The Australian Orphan Relative Visa (Subclass 177) was created for orphaned children whose relatives decided to sponsor their permanent stay in Australia. The family had to do so because the children’s parents were dead, missing, or incapacitated.

To be given this permit, minors must stay outside Australia while applying for it.

Orphan Relative Visa (Subclass 837)

The Orphan Relative Visa (Subclass 837) may be issued for an orphaned child whose parents are either missing, dead or incapacitated. In this situation, one of their family members should pay for the child’s permanent stay in Australia.

It is important that the child remains in Australia while applying for this residence permit.

Adoption Visa (Subclass 102)

The Australian Adoption Visa (Subclass 102) is intended for children adopted overseas by an Australian citizen, holder of an Australian permanent visa, or eligible New Zealand citizen. It is also available for minors in the process of adoption.

The adoptive parent declares to sponsor the permanent residence of their adopted child.

Dependent Child Visa (Subclass 445)

Holders of the Temporary Partner Visa that did not include their adopted or biological child in the application form may apply for the Dependent Child Visa (Subclass 445).

Being given the document, a child of the Temporary Partner Visa holder must immediately apply for the same type of permanent visa as their parent.